So my BFF and I are officially house hunting (for her, I’ll be renting a room), and I couldn’t be more excited! Not only because it means we’re entering a new stage in our lives, and I’m super proud of her for being able to buy a home before she’s 30 (an especially big deal when you live in Orange County), but also because we’re finally going to be roomies! :) We’ve only been dreaming about this for, oh, fifteen years.
While we’re working on finding just the right place for her and I (and Dante too!), I’ve been playing at interior designer and just had to share some of the prettier things and great DIY tutorials I’ve found around the interwebs.
I’m obsessed with the bright yellow and grey/neutrals combo right now, isn’t it so pretty? Relaxing yet sunny, and you can really play with pattern and texture. The center image is my main inspiration, from Angela Hardison’s home as featured on Design*Sponge (she’s a graphic designer – surprised much?).
Clockwise from top left:
- Block Printed Table Runner, HomeSweet on Etsy, $60
- Ribba Picture Ledge, Ikea, $14.99 (fewer holes in the wall, plus I can display my vintage books!)
- Jorun wool rug, Ikea, $179
- Home Globe String Lights, Target, $12.99 (because I am my father’s daughter and he’s a string light hoarder)
- Hand Screen Printed Sleepy Dog, Robin & Mould on Etsy, $25
- Vintage Yellow Swing Arm Lamp, Fishbone Deco on Etsy, $75
- Translucent Porcelain Egg Candles, Revisions Design Studio on Etsy, $15.95 for two
- Hanging Fruit Basket (made to order), Jeanette Zeis Ceramics on Etsy, $74
We’ll be on a tight budget, so some of these are not on my actual shopping list, but you can do a whole lot with some paint, varnish and sandpaper! We’ll be doing some serious thrifting and Goodwill-hopping. We also have most of the essentials in terms of kitchen supplies and furniture, so I’ve been daydreaming about how we can play with what we have already. Here’s some DIY tutorials that I’m loving:
- Mason Jar Chandelier via Ikea Hackers
- Retro Media Cabinet (my FAVE!), also via Ikea Hackers
- Dorothy Draper Chest of Drawers, via (surprise) Ikea Hackers
- Hanging Mason Jar Storage by Liz Marie
- Heightened Padded Headboard, via Ikea Hackers (most definitely doing this)
- Rehabbed Pine Dresser, originally via Design*Sponge (which has weekly before & afters, check them out!)
So link us up, friends! What DIY projects have you loved lately?