Whoa. Twenty-eight. Is it too soon for me to have to stop and think when somebody asks me how old I am? Because that started, like, two years ago.
A few years back, when I was still really big into digital scrapbooking (as in, was a part of several creative teams for different shops; now I only do it for gifts and cards and such), I started doing a list of things I love after each birthday. Kinda like my 10 Things series, except they were things that never failed to make me smile, the things that were my go-to happiness makers, what I’m grateful for. I love looking back on all those pages now, and I hope someday my kids will treasure them too! So, because I’m a girl of habits, here we go again this year…
- Sunday mornings spent curled up in bed with Dante and a good book
- Green nail polish in honor of my grandma (wearing it today!)
- Movie nights with my family
- Trips to the dog park
- Doctor Who
- A fresh pedicure
- Finally living with my BFF
- Listening to Up From Below...I just can’t get tired of it! It’s all Tara’s fault.
- Shooting film
- Instagram. In case you hadn’t noticed.
- Working with the shelter. It’s been over a year now and every time I go I’m filled with this immense joy and calm.
- Pumpkin spice lattes
- Honing my DIY skills (I still need to share my padded headboard! You can kinda see it here.)
- Day trippin’ with my girls and my family. Next up: Oak Glen.
- Sharing and learning (and dining…we love food) alongside my shutter sister, Nancy
- Josh Groban concerts…with fifth row seats thanks to Nikki
- Star Wars marathons
- Movie dates with my dad
- Burt’s Bees’ new tinted lip balm
- Adding to my library. New favorites this year include The Help, Game of Thrones, Flying Changes, The Postmistress and the Parasol Protectorate series.
- Harry Potter marathons
- My dad’s Lemon Drop martinis
- Getting our bibs on at Cajun Swamp
- Catching up on The Guild with Mindy
- Spaghetti dinners at my parents’ house
- Debating ANTM and Project Runway episodes with the girls
- Thinking about what the next year will bring
Phew! I think I’m gonna have to call it quits after year 30, that took a while. ;) What a difference a year makes, huh? New home, different hair, single, but loving life just as much so much more. I know it sounds cliche, but I really love and know myself more now than ever before, and I wouldn’t be any younger if you paid me. Yes, I’m still totally awkward, but at least I’m aware of it. :)
I’m keeping things simple again this year, which is the way I prefer it. I had a big blowout for my quarter century (with a princess-themed bounce house and everything), but since then I’ve only wanted leisurely dinners and time with my family and friends. Last night, Mindy joined Nikki and I for takeout Japanese from my favorite local place and a surprise tres leches cake, and it was awesome to just hang out and catch up. Tonight I’m headed to my parents’ house for dinner – and I’m so looking forward to another of my mom’s marsipan tortes and a batch of my dad’s lemon drops for dessert. Mmmm yes. Tomorrow will see me sleeping in, crafting with Mindy, and then dinner, drinks and a movie with her and the rest of my friends. I totally asked to go to the same restaurant as last year, it’s just that good!
And that, my friends, looks like a pretty darn perfect weekend to me. Hope you have a great one too.
Photos by the wonderful Jen Disney.