Shoes, mountains, books, fresh fruit, Indiana Jones. Seems like a rational list for what’s making me happy right now, right?
1. Escaping to the mountains. It felt sooo good to go up to the mountains (Idyllwild, to be exact), even if it was just for a night. The meteor shower was amazing, we saw about 22 meteors in just an hour! And Dante loved it too.
2. The perfect summer sandal. I found these on sale at Steinmart, and I love that they put just enough of a spin on the basic summer/gladiator sandal. I’ve been wearing them constantly. (Please pardon my need for a pedicure.)
3. Newsroom. If you get HBO, I really hope you’re watching it! It fills the void that the end of West Wing left. And who doesn’t love Jeff Daniels?
4. My Daguerrotype Boyfriend. This Tumblr thrills my history nerd heart. It’s practically a vintage version of Tiger Beat, except you don’t feel guilty about reading it because it’s historical. I mean, who knew Winston Churchill looked like this when he began his career? Even in England, all you ever see are the iconic WWII-era photos.
5. Cooking with Trader Joe’s. For my fellow TJs addicts. So far I’ve tried the Tamale Bake (except I substituted beef for soy chorizo), which was super good and made a ton, and I’ve got several others bookmarked to try. I think I’m going to need their cookbook!
6. Reading, reading, reading.The Night Circus was wonderful, I really loved the interrupted timeline – having to keep track of what happened when made for a more interesting read! I tore through A Feast for Crows and I’m excited that the next in the series, A Dance with Dragons, just arrived yesterday. I’m also reading The Book Thief (finally) and loving it! (Anyone else constantly read several books at once?) And I’m almost done with The Lighthouse, which my parents suggested and loaned to me. It’s not my favorite detective story, but a good enough “whodoneit” to make me want to finish. For business, Worth Every Penny is a great investment. On top of the stack is a Rifle notbook Lindsey sent me as a thank you that I’ve been using as a daily gratitude journal.
7. Makeup by Tiffany D. I think I stumbled on her video tutorials via Pinterest or something a while back, and I’m officially a fan. She’s a total pro while still being completely approachable and sweet. I’ve used mineral powder foundation for years, but lately my skin hasn’t been so happy with my usual routine. So I’ve been doing her process for lighter foundation for a couple weeks now and love it! I pretty much use all the products in this video, including the brush, which is super helpful. The woman hasn’t steered me wrong yet.
8. The Farmer’s Market in summer. There’s nothing like it. A few weeks ago they did a special “Dog Days of Summer” night and it was so fun! My mom and I picked up an orange mini cake to share from this local company called Orange Clementine, and it was SO GOOD. We were kicking ourselves we didn’t get one for each of us, it was so delicious. I’m thinking of requesting a full size one for my birthday. Mmmm…
9. This quote. I guess that explains why my favorite color is green, right? Illustration by Lisa Congdon.
10. Indy returns to the big screen. I found out about this event via Facebook, and I’m so excited I can hardly stand it. I loves me some Star Wars, but Indiana Jones (the trilogy, not so much the fourth one) is where it’s at and where it all started for me. My friends can testify to how obsessed I can be. And now I get to watch all the movies, in a row, in the theater! Can’t wait!
So enliven my Thursday for me – what’s floating your boat lately?