During my week away, I was tagged by the lovely Ms Britgirl herself to share ten things about myself that I haven’t already divulged. So hmmm…I’m not sure what I haven’t gabbed about yet, so let’s see!
- I was in a pageant when I was a senior in high school. Yes, the kind where you wear a bathing suit on stage. In front of 900 people. Really, I was scrambling for any kind of scholarship money for college, so I applied. I sang opera for the talent portion and of course didn’t place (how dare I not sing Broadway??). But I did get the highest interview score, and received $500 just for that (which they termed the “Inner Beauty Award”...gag)!
- Dante sleeps in my bed with me. I know many dog owners are hotly divided on the issue, but it works for us. Plus, I have yet to meet another Italian Greyhound owner who doesn’t let their pup sleep with them! They’re natural burrowers. Dante even puts himself back to bed in the mornings while I’m getting ready, after he’s been outside and eaten breakfast. I’ve learned to keep a junky fleece blanket at the end of the bed, and half the time he prefers that and never actually gets under the covers with me.
- I started working when I was 16 years old, and I’m super grateful to my parents for making me do so. It taught me so much, and by the time I graduated college I was miles ahead of other kids in the “real life experience” department. Although to be fair, they didn’t make me work, but they said if I wanted gas money for my dad’s old car, I was going to have to earn it. :)
- I sang in choirs from fifth grade all the way through high school. I was actually offered my choice of either a music or academic scholarship when it came time for college, and I went with academic knowing I wasn’t going to pursue singing professionally.
- I never used to cry at movies or anything, but these days I find myself blinking hard just at silly commercials. What has become of my toughness?? I blame Nikki. ;)
- I can’t listen to music and read at the same time. TV I can tune out, but I’m trained to listen to the words in music, so I never truly focus on what I’m reading if I have my favorite playlist going in the background. Luckily I CAN Photoshop and listen at the same time… (And yes, “to Photoshop” is definitely a valid verb.)
- I’m addicted to Solitaire on my iPhone. I’m sure it makes me a total loser, but anytime I’m stuck waiting for someone/thing that’s probably what I’m doing (if I’m not checking my Instagram feed).
- I’m not allergic to pet dander (except for kittens, for some reason I react differently to them), but I am allergic to pretty everything else in the air: dust, pollen, dirt, etc. And I’ve been so ever since I was about six and I had an extreme reaction to flowers I picked while we were visiting family in Norway! I loves me some stargazers (like the gorgeous specimens above), but it’s bad news if I stick my nose in close to smell. It’s typically manageable, but I get allergy-related asthma too and can’t remember a day when I didn’t have to use a tissue. I’m just grateful it’s not food allergies!
- One of my favorite book series when I was growing up (and I had a lot, being the giant nerdy bookworm that I was) was Anne of Green Gables. I read them all – books were our reward for good grades – and have them tucked away in my parents attic. Actually, I devoured pretty much anything L. M. Montgomery wrote, she’s brilliant.
- I have an epic collection of half-filled journals. It’s terrible! I’ve always loved paper goods and would move on to the next “perfect journal” I’d found before finishing the previous one. I’m still working on my willpower.
Are you happy now, Mel? ;)